Tuesday, August 28, 2012

*DIY* ENTRY WALL IMPACT for under $30



I have a small wall facing you when you walk in the front door to my house. I could hang some photos or a mirror or something to that affect but I wanted something different. Something with a POP! The wall is small enough where I can get away with something a little more unique and its not facing the main living area so I thought... WHAT THE HELL... why not!

Now what to do.. I wanted somewhere to hang keys, maybe an umbrella. I also wanted a shelf, for some reason I thought maybe adding a 3 dimensional collection of items would draw some attention and could be changed out for holidays. Hooks, Shelf... I couldn't put a bench or shoe holder on the ground as it would block traffic to the laundry room and I thought I'd save my shins some damage.

My next thought was paint... dark paint maybe, or a pattern. Something GRAPHIC.
I SUCK at painting... so the more I thought about polka dots or a grid or plaid painted affect the more my confidence weakened in my ability to pull it off. Ok, so dark paint I though, then it hit me... CHALKBOARD PAINT!! Of course......it's dark, has a good texture, its a flat finish and I can write quotes or lyrics as the seasons change. The other obvious is THE GIRLS WILL LOVE THIS!

Chalkboard paint has come a LONG way from school green or slate black. The new paint I purchased can be tinted to any one of 12 colors.. Now I just had to do all this on my budget for the more POP, I could get.
                    Here's what I got.. 

Command Hangers. I bought 2 packs of these.. so 4 total hooks. They were $3.49/pack at Walmart
Floating wall Shelf.. I got this at Target.. it was about $10.50. I will say this was NOT the easiest thing to install. But for the price what do you expect. I needed to engineer a way to anchor it better so be advised. You can easily find a shelf 6"wide x24" at home improvement stores and by the corner brackets. Just won't be a "floating" look.
Rust-oleum Chalk Board Paint. There are 12 colors you can have the paint department tint your can to. My quart size can had a MoonStone color which was like a Mossy Gray so I choose that. (colors vary) This was $13.47 at Home Depot. 
You'll also need general supplies for the painting and installation. Bubble Level, Screw driver, painters tape, foam roller and brush.

Tape off your area for paint, make sure its CLEAN and smooth. Paint your wall. (I did 2 coats)
Once dry, hang your shelf hardware. Attach clips for hangers and ENJOY.  Wait 3 days for paint to fully cure, condition it by rubbing chalk over the entire surface then wipe away.

You could do so many variations. Stripes of different colors, mirrors, plants etc. I can't wait to really have fun with this.



No comments:

Post a Comment