Tuesday, August 28, 2012

RECIPE- Easy Neufchatel Frosting (Red velvet and salted chocolate cupcakes)



I used a box mix, so I could test out the frosting and I have to say it is AMAZING.. I used Duncan Hines and it's moist and flavorful.
For the frosting here is the recipe..

Ingredients

  • 4 ounces butter softened
  • (SECRET) 3 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened. ( Neufchatel cheese is very similar to cream cheese, you've probably stared at it in the dairy display saying "what is that". It's basically the same thing as your classic cream cheese, it's named after is birth location in Normandy. It has less fat content (33% vs 23%) and higher moisture. It's flavor is almost indistinguishable from cream cheese though I will say it is a bit milder and I think the texture is more granulated but only ever so slightly. I have grown quite found of it.)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • also a small dash of salt... BOOST THAT FLAVOR! 

Directions

In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cheese and extract with an electric mixer or whisk. Slowly add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time until smooth. Place in fridge while cupcakes cool. Grate some chocolate (this is MUCH easier if the chocolate bar is frozen) place chocolate in small bowl and mix with another dash of salt, maybe a pinch, you be the judge)
 I put my icing in a gallon zip- lock and snip a corner to pipe a small swirl onto the cupcakes. Dust tops with salted chocolate powder.  VOILA! (it's ok.. the frosting and salted top is so good friends will think the whole cupcake is from scratch.... your secrets safe with me.)
  

1 comment:

  1. this sounds so good. will def try!

    hydepennym@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete