Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tie it all together

This has been the craziest and weirdest week EVER! Ok so as if I don't have enough going on, 1 month old, 2 yr old, laundry from the beach, 30 orders sitting in my log, busy season for my husband's carpet cleaning business is approaching, my 13 yr old cousin down from NY to visit, what more could be piled on. Ohh, I don't know how about an EARTHQUAKE and lets do that in the midst of preparing for a hurricane. NO BIG DEAL!

Never in my life did I think I would experiences an earthquake especially in Maryland, but low and behold, there it was. Scariest thing ever, I couldn't appreciate the power and significance of it merely because I literally ran out of my house as fast as I could with a newborn in a football hold.

I was watching TV in bed one minute then there was a small rumbling which I brushed off as my dryer with my comforter and towels in it, then the whole house began to shake violently. West-coasters this is the point where you all laugh and say "a 5.9 is nothing to sneeze at." Well, here in my state aka Maryland on this coast aka East. WE DON'T DO EARTHQUAKES! Blizzards with 3 or 4 feet of snow, floods swamping our harbors & low lying towns, the occasional hurricane or tropical storm off the coast but an earthquake, no thanks. Things falling off shelves, pictures shaking off the walls where they have sat for up to 15 years. It was CRAZY. Once I realized there was no way in hell that was my dryer, I yelled to my cousin to grab my 2 yr old from her crib as it was nap time and "get the hell out of the house!" I grabbed my phone and the newborn then tore down the stairs and out to my back deck.I thought it would be safe there until I heard the beams of the deck screeching and rattling. I mean what the heck do I do? In Maryland we know how to do a lot of stuff, we can drive in feet of snow & ice, kayak through town during a flood but I was clueless. I tried to call my husband which was fruitless as I was not the only genius with that plan so lines were busy. So after a half hour outside, we returned to the house to rehang photos, tidy up and watch the news to see what our next move would be.



Someone sent this to me and believe it or not people here already have "I survived the Maryland Earthquake" It's funny now, but I can assure you there was real damage
to our historic buildings.


My family in NY felt it too so they were eagerly trying to get a hold of my cousin and I to check on us, as was every other member of my family. We were ok, a little shaken up (no pun intended)but ok. THANK GOD!

So now that it's Thursday the threats of another earthquake are diminishing, which is great except for this little thing they call Hurricane Irene. So now I have a real hurricane coming, it looks like a hurricane already went through my house and my sanity could use a good hurricane with vodka and ice. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm off to tie it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment