Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tutorial: DIY Envelope clutch SUPER EASY



Ok, so for weeks I've been checking out envelope clutches for spring. I love their simplicity & function. The chic and straight design goes right along with where I think fashion is heading this year. 2012 Style Forecast on ETSY. Geometric, navy, turquoise, coral, olive, mauve, nautical, floral and striped.

Anyway, back to the envelope clutch. I wanted something soft and cotton with some kind of pattern or detail but still simple and clean. THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE, so I decided to make my own. Let me preface this tutorial with the fact that I can in fact sew, I just don't like to. Hemming, hiding seams and cutting patterns, NOT MY THING. I needed something that was half way there so of course my first thought as I'm sure is yours at this point was.... "light bulb- PLACE-MATS" That's what you were thinking too right? Just me? Ok. So off I went to find the perfect place-mats to make my envelope clutch. Here's what I got and how I did it. (I also made a straw slung tote... OMG!! wait until you see it.)


You will need your place-mat and a needle & thread. My place-mat is a lined cotton blend. And was a STEAL for $2.00


With the pattern side up. Fold the Place-mat 3/4 of the way, pin and stitch.



FLIP OVER. Fold the corners of the flap back toward you. (the pocket you just stitched should be on the other side)Pin it!


Stitch your folded corners down. I just tacked them down with a few stitches.


Turn your pocket right side out, fold your flap down and Vio' La! Sexy, Chic & Simple. Can't wait for SPRING!

1 comment: